The Security Guard course covers a range of topics as part of your training, including patrolling, checking people and vehicles at site entry points, searching people, property, or premises, recording incidents, removing trespassers, attending court to give evidence, responding to emergencies, dealing with internal and external customers, using specialist equipment, and more.
You will need to prove that you have an Emergency First Aid at Work certificate or a general First Aid certificate with at least a year left until it’s expiration date. If you do not have one, you will need to take our Emergency First Aid at Work course, which will take place on the first day of your course. Once you pass, you will be able to start your Security Guard course.
The units that will be covered in the course are:
- Principles of Working in the Private Security Industry
- Know the main characteristics and purposes of the Private Security Industry
- Understand legislation as it applies to a security operative
- Understand arrest procedures relevant to security operatives
- Understand the importance of safe working practices
- Understand fire procedures in the workplace
- Understand emergencies and the importance of emergency procedures
- Understand how to communicate effectively as a security operative
- Understand record keeping relevant to the role of the security operative
- Understand terror threats and the role of the security operative in the event of a threat
- Understand how to keep vulnerable people safe
- Understand good practice for post incident management
- Principles of Working as a Security Officer In The Private Security Industry
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of security officers
- Understand the control of access and egress.
- Know the different types of electronic and physical protection systems in the security environment.
- Know how to minimise risk to personal safety at work.
- Understand drug-misuse legislation, issues, and procedures relevant to the role of a security officer.
- Know how to conduct effective search procedures.
- Understand how to patrol designated areas safely.
- Application of Conflict Management in the Private Security Industry
- Understand the principles of conflict management appropriate to the role
- Understand how to recognise, assess and reduce risk in conflict situations
- Understand the use of problem-solving techniques when resolving conflict
- Be able to communicate to deescalate conflict
You will complete three multiple choice exams to pass this course. All course material and exam fees are included in the price of this course.
Duration and Location:
CLASSROOM/ 4 DAYS
18 or Over
Emergency First Aid at Work Certificate or higher
Level 2 Qualification in Security Guarding
Upon finishing your course and passing, you can apply for your Security Guard licence on the SIA website. This costs £190.00, and you need to prove your eligibility to work in the UK, have a DBS check, and provide evidence of your first aid course certificate, which must be an Emergency First Aid at Work certificate or higher. This licence is valid for 3 years. The SIA will typically get back to you within 25 working days. Once you receive your licence, we will place you on a security site to start working.
We can place you in various security jobs, but we will not be able to place you at any location that is licenced to serve alcohol.
You will need to undergo top-up training when your licence is due to expire.